Roaring 20 hosts auditions for freshmen and sophomores twice a year — in the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. Although auditioning can seem like a daunting and stressful experience, we strive to make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.
[ OPEN HOUSE ]
Roaring 20 will be holding an Open House from 4-6 pm on Sunday, February 6th. Come join us in the R20 room (071 Bloomberg Hall) for a fun afternoon of music and camaraderie!
[ AUDITIONS ]
Audition slots are NOW OPEN for freshmen and sophomores between February 7-8. You can sign up for an audition through our calendar or by clicking the button below.
If you are unable to find an audition time, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try our best to accommodate you.
Your R20 audition should be quite painless and only take about 15 minutes. You can expect the following:
• Introductions: We begin the audition by introducing you to the group and getting to know a little bit about you – your hometown, your residential college, etc.
• Scales: We will guide you through a few scales to warm you up and test your range (we recommend warming up a bit on your own before the audition).
• Swells: We will give you a pitch, then you will start singing as soft as you possibly can on that note, gradually crescendo to your loudest possible volume, and decrescendo back to where you started. We’re interested in hearing dynamic contrast and an ability to sing both loudly and softly across your range.
• Pitch Matching: Our music director will play a few sets of 3 or 4 notes on the piano and have you sing them back to the group. Try to sing them as accurately as you can – if you need to hear the notes played multiple times, that’s completely fine.
• The Solo: This is your time to shine! You can perform any solo from any genre of music. We recommend a 30-45 second excerpt from a song that you’re comfortable with and that demonstrates your vocal strengths. Just to give you some ideas, solos used by current members include: “Titanium” by David Guetta, “Almost is Never Enough” by Ariana Grande, “Chasing Pavements” by Adele, “Come Fly With Me” by Frank Sinatra, “Royals” by Lorde, and “A Change is Gonna Come” by Sam Cooke.
• Blending Exercise: Lastly, we will surround you with members of your voice part, and we will sing through a short phrase in 4-part harmony. You will have a copy of the music. After hearing it a couple of times, you will join in on your part to give us an idea of how your voice fits in with the rest of the group.
Then you’re done! A member of Roaring 20 will swing by your room later that night if we decide to give you a callback.
* Roaring 20 does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender expression, sexual orientation, or disability. All freshman and sophomores are welcome and encouraged to audition.
Auditions take place in the Roaring 20 room at 071 Bloomberg Hall. The room is in the basement, all the way down at the end of the hall.
Pro Tip: Click HERE and follow directions on Google Maps!